Introduce yourself

Sign In Forums Passion Profile Short Course Introduce yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    TristanDonofrio
    Participant

Hi Im Tristan and have been following the blog for several months. Found out about your business through Steph Crowder (Courage and Clarity first but then she also mentioned you on Fizzle`s main podcast).

I used to be in the Fizzle community. Which was fun but I suspect its mostly firestarters and side hustlers over there! Ive wonderered if there are other thrivers and tribe members starting businesses and keep hitting the same walls as I have. I started a business in college and helped a friend launch one together in our mid 20s but they all tanked quickly. It was only in the past few years (Im 36) that I took writing courses / coaching and tried growing a following online.

My first quiz result was for firestarter but I was also pursuing a business at the time so I answered the questions based on my freedom and rebelious tendencies. After retaking the quiz Im a thriver and firestarter combo. It makes sense for me but I also wonder how I can make it work. I have a strong desire to not work much but love freedom and finding ways to rebel makes me happy. Its usually the only “autonomous” part of any job Ive had.

I got started in a large law office doing admin / service roles that Ive never enjoyed but pay better than other entry level jobs I would seek. The kind of work I do is being outsourced so Ive known I need to find a new career for a while. Ive made a lot of progress during that time in getting along with people better and in securing a substantial raise during my last transition.

I finished the course and am looking forward to seeing if there are any jobs that would feel good for me and pay well enough. Ive commited to doing job search research weekly in order to find out if there’s a fit out there for me. We’ve had a few emotionally unstable folks in this office during the past year. I have great perks here which is the only reason I’ve been able to ride it out so far.

Kristen W

Hi Tristan! So glad you decided to join us for the PPSC.

It’s totally understandable that you’ve felt frustrated by starting businesses in the past (and maybe even now, too) considering you’re not a pure Firestarter — you’re also a Thriver. (I totally get this inner tug-of-war, in a very personal way, because I’m also a mixture of those two profiles!) So the Thriver part of you craves stability and predictability, which means not all forms of entrepreneurship will feel like a good fit. The riskier the venture, the more your Thriver self is going to freak out.

I’d be curious to hear what you think about the concept of “intrapreneurship.” Essentially, it means being an innovator/creator of some kind of project or initiative within a company. I think it might appeal to your Firestarter’s desire to rebel and do things your own way, while respecting your Thriver’s need for security. Thoughts?

Good luck with the job searching! Your commitment to doing it consistently every week is a great strategy. Can’t wait to hear what you find!

TristanDonofrio
    Participant

Hi Kristen!

Yes intrapreneurship would be great. Or even a role that was exclusively project based and allowed me to work remotely. Assuming the projects are fun and stimulating enough to keep me engaged (without being overwhelming) and my input is needed.

Most of the questions in my head are about how I can transition into a type of job that Ive never had before. For example, since Ive spent much of the past few years learning about digital marketing and copywriting I think there is at least some potential there. I prefer editing strongly to writing. So I dont have concrete examples that I can point to and say yes I can do this for you.

I remember hearing you mention how you and Rachel are Firestarter thrivers. Im more thriver dominate but also a firestarter. Ive never had a collaborative role but think that I would be excited to work in a creative evironment where collaboration and risk were encouraged and awarded.

Autonomy and freedom may be the most important values to me. Besides having fun of course 😉

Im curious what new skills I may need to develop. I know that will likely depend on other details Ill learn in my research. Ill be sure to check back in with the forum when I have questions and updates.

Thank you 🙂

Tristan

Kristen W

Tristan,

I’m glad you’re getting clearer on the kind of work and environment that would be better suited to you. That’s going to be SO helpful as you continue your job search.

It makes sense that you’re wondering how to transition into a type of job you’ve never had before — that’s a very common concern that a lot of our clients have. But remember that people pivot into different kinds of careers all the time, so it’s totally possible. It’s partially about using any/all of your experience and framing it in a way that best aligns with the new position (for example, marketing and copywriting and editing are VERY transferable skills across industries), and also demonstrating that you’re a fast learner and motivated employee who can easily pick up the rest on the job.

Hope you’ll keep us updated on your search! Best of luck.

AngelaJensen
    Participant

Hi Everyone! My name in Angela Jensen and I’m from Santa Cruz, CA (Bay Area). I took the quiz about a year ago (Thriver) and have been following the blog and pod content since. The enticement of a free coaching session is what got me to finally go from lurking on the free content and joining the PPSC. Looks like I’m the only one so far but hopefully there are more people like me who will be introducing themselves soon!

I decided this was something to pursue because I’m struggling to be creative enough or able to expand my mind enough to envision the possibilities and opportunities that might be out there and might fit who I am and what I need in life instead of doing the same thing over and over. I feel like I’ve hit a few walls in my path so far and don’t really know what direction to go in next.

Looking forward to seeing what insight I can get out of this experience 🙂

Rachel E
    Participant

Hi Angela,

We’re happy to see you here! And never fear, you aren’t the only one (though many people prefer to DIY rather than comment in the forum, which is fine!).

I think what you said about “struggling to be creative enough” is something a lot of people can relate to. Though to me that implies that we should be expected to think our way into solutions, when that’s usually not possible! It takes getting outside of ourselves and experimenting to find solutions, which is what you’ve done by being here! 🙂

nikkiarvold
    Participant

Hi Everyone! I am Nikki and my passion profile is Tribe Member. I am in the process of looking for new opportunities and don’t want to continue to jump from one position to another and not be fulfilled. I used to enjoy my work when I was first out of collage and then as my life changed (marriage, kids, etc), I also noticed some of my values did. The last several years I have felt stuck in a rut and feel like I am just going through the motions to get by. I really want to get to a place where I am living my life again versus letting it pass me by.

I decided to do this course to help give me some guidance and confidence to make a change. From the quiz results and first couple of videos, I am excited at the possibilities!

Kristen W

Welcome Nikki! We’re glad you’re here.

It’s totally normal for your priorities to shift when you go through big life milestones, so it makes sense that your values evolved as your life changed. If your work doesn’t grow with you, though, then it can become more and more unfulfilling.

You’re in the right place, though, because this course will help you reevaluate your values and figure out how to connect them to your career in a way that fits you. I’m glad to hear that the first few videos have already started to get you excited about new possibilities! 🙂

GinnyMulvey
    Participant

Hi everyone! My name is Ginny, and I am from Wisconsin. I’m a long time listener of the Clarity on Fire podcast. I typically have a hard time reaching out for help and have hestitated to take this course in the past, but I think I’m finally in that place where the pain of staying stuck where I am is greater than the fear of trying something new.

My passion profile is Thriver. Even though I can identify with just about everything in the Thriver profile, I also can’t seem to let go of my long held dream of being self employed so I often feel conflicted about which direction to go in. I’m an introvert and HSP and struggle in the very non-introvert friendly open office environment of my current workplace. It’s a good company but the job itself is draining and no longer fulfilling, and I’m ready to start exploring other options. I could use guidance in figuring out what those could be, and accountability is also really key for me in getting myself to take action. I’m excited to get started!

Rachel E
    Participant

Hi Ginny!

As an introvert with Thriver tendencies who also likes self-employment, I totally feel where you’re coming from! It sounds like you might be a bit of a FireThriver, rather than a full Thriver. I’ll be curious to hear your take on that once you’re done with the course. 🙂

Blair
    Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Blair, and I am from Baton Rouge, LA. I ran across Clarity on Fire a number of weeks ago. After taking the Passion Profile quiz (I am totally a Thriver) and watching the “How to Find Your Passion” video (and learning a new way of thinking about passion) my curiosity was piqued and I wanted to know more about what Rachel and Kristen had to say. After listening to a number of podcasts and sitting on it for a few weeks (I think things to death), I finally decided SCREW IT, lets do this thing, and signed up for the course.

I’ve had this obsession with “finding myself and my passion” for about four years now. I felt like I lost myself after I was pressured to quit working to stay home with my children. I felt even more lost after my husband left me when my children were only 1 and 2 years old. I’ve been stuck in “survival mode” for the last few years. I have a lot of limiting beliefs that I’ve been working on overcoming (worthiness and enoughness being at the top). I was convinced for the longest time ‘If I could just figure out what my passion is, that one THING that I’m supposed to be doing, I could finally be happy.’ I can see now that this way of thinking is completely wrong.

I’ve taken numerous other courses on finding your passion and leaving your soul-sucking jobs, and none of them have taken the approach PPSC takes. I’m very curious to see where this leads.

I’m hoping to get some clarity about which steps to take next (or even a general direction) by taking this course. My current job does not do a good job at all at fulfilling me in any way. I’ve felt like I’ve been stuck in a swampy muck for years, just walking in circles and not going anywhere, desperate to climb out. I’m hoping this course will at least offer me the first rung in the ladder.

Rachel E
    Participant

Welcome, Blair!

First of all, kudos to you for being a single mom who is dedicated to getting out of survival mode. A lot of people would likely have crumbled and just accepted their limiting beliefs and general lot in life. It speaks to your determination and level of self-awareness that you continue to focus on bettering yourself! And what a great example that will set for your kids, too.

It can be so hard to realize that we’ve been looking for a job or passion that will “save” us! It’s definitely harder, but ultimately more rewarding, to realize that we have the capacity to be happy NOW, and also looking forward to more in the future.

Keep us posted about your progress and aha moments! We’re happy you found us. 🙂

JessicaCampbell
    Participant

Hello I’m Jessica and I’m from South Jersey near Philadelphia. I work for a great company but I need to change my role. AFter going through all the profiles and then analyzing my values, I feel like I’m a Thriver with some Tribemember mixed in. I value connection, collaboration, and seeing a direct impact for others but also a combo with working remote and going into the office. I’m here to figure out how I work best, hoping that I will get more clarity with the rest. Looking forward to learning more in this course!

Rachel E
    Participant

Welcome, Jessica! I love that you appreciate your company, you just need help refining your role. I think learning more about your Thriver/Tribe Member profiles will definitely help you clarify your needs and intentions. Looking forward to hearing more! 🙂

Gina
    Participant

Hi! I’m Gina and I’m joining you from New Zealand. I came across your podcast months ago and it soon became my go-to during my morning commute. Your style really resonates with me – it’s straightforward, heartfelt and thought-provoking.

Listening to you, and now doing your PPSC has given me a lot of food-for-thought as I navigate a career change. I’m hungry for knowledge and trying to make better decisions that suit me rather than suiting everyone else!

Thanks for all you do and nice to ‘e-meet’ everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.