Introduce yourself

Sign In Forums Passion Profile Short Course Introduce yourself

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Kristen W

Welcome Gina! I love that our podcast has become a companion for you on your commute! πŸ™‚

Really glad you’re here, and I can wait to hear more about what you learn about yourself & your working style/values as you work through this course. Happy New Year!

Jezer
    Participant

Hello everyone! My name is Jezer and I am from Southern California. When I took the Passion Profile quiz, I got Thriver, which I believe fits me to a tee.

I was recently let go from a job that I honestly felt off in. But in my whole working career, I have felt off, so I went searching for answers on the Internet and came across the Passion Profile quiz and eventually this course.

Through this course, I am hoping to gain clarity on how I want my career and life to play out so I can better pick out a new job opportunity for myself and thrive πŸ™‚

Kristen W

Welcome Jezer!

I’m so glad you found us and resonated so much with your Thriver profile. I very much hope (and believe) that this course will help you get a better sense about what’s felt “off” in your career so far, and also give you insight into what kinds of jobs might be a great fit for you moving forward.

Thanks for joining, and let us know how it’s going along the way!

JessicaCampbell
    Participant

Hi I’m Jessica,
    I’m from the South Jersey/Phia area and I signed up for this course last year, but for different reasons, couldn’t seem to commit enough time to it to get much out of it. I’m going to try again. Most of my working life I’ve worked at jobs that have felt “off” or I’ve been severely unhappy or have triggered anxiety. Currently I’ve been in the same role for about 10 years and most of that time I’ve struggled but I always stuck with it because I always thought it was me not getting it and if I worked hard enough I’d get it and it’d be better or I’d keep hoping the assignments would change and I’d enjoy it more. I realize now the role is just not a good fit for me and I need to be looking elsewhere or ask to make adjustments in the meantime if possible. In the last couple of years, I’ve started to do some major self reflection about myself and my previous and current roles to see what was or wasn’t working for me or what triggered my anxiety and needed to change. I signed up for this course in hopes to connect everything together to find a role that fits me better that is also soul satisfying and will help me to make an income I deserve. Thanks for listening!

Kristen W

Hi Jessica! Really happy to see you here AND in our Patreon community! πŸ™‚

Your story is one I’ve heard all too often. I know a LOT of people who have felt that same sense that something was “off” in their job for a while, and yet they haven’t made a change because they think (or fear) that they are the problem, not the job. As in, “If only I could change my mindset,” or “Once I get the hang of this new assignment,” or “If I just try a little harder to make it work,” … then it would finally feel satisfying.

But all too often, that lingering feeling that something doesn’t feel right is just a sign that you and the job aren’t a fit. It’s kind of like trying to make a chronically unhealthy relationship work over and over again, before realizing you’re just not right for each other.

I love hearing that you’re doing some serious introspection and self-reflection to figure out what you REALLY want from your life & career, and I hope this course helps support that internal journey you’re on. I’d love to hear some of your “aha” moments as you work through the course!

JessicaCampbell
    Participant

Its definitely been an internal journey! I feel like between my wife and I, we’ve been on an internal journey together for at least a few years both in our careers and personally. I’ve actually always been envious of her because she’s always been relatively happy in her career no matter what that was. I, on the other hand, have always dreamed of having a career I was proud of but never quite gotten there….always the elusive dream. I’m going through the course, taking time to reflect on each part. I feel like I’m a combo of Tribe Member and Thriver. I value connection with others and creativity, work/life balance, seeing my work directly impacting others, quality time, income predictability but still being paid well. I can manage data but not people (unless 1:1) and I enjoy being a subject matter expert. I also cannot handle too much pressure, being timed or making quotas or multi-tasking where there are a lot of balls in the air at once. Most of my roles have definitely been negatively triggering in one way or another. I’m hoping this course will help me identify my optimal working environment that will help me narrow the types of roles to look for. I’m tired of the way I feel about my work.. having 2 degrees and not earning what I’m worth.

Definate Aha moment listening to both those Passion Profiles.. I can see and feel myself in both.

Rachel E
    Participant

So glad you’re already seeing some alignment with Tribe Member and Thriver, Jessica! It seems to me you’ve already crossed one big hurdle–seeing where your current and past work life hasn’t aligned with how you’re wired, and giving yourself permission for that to be OK. We get really stuck when we keep trying to fix ourselves, rather than fix the misalignment! πŸ™‚

JessicaCampbell
    Participant

Hi Rachel and Kristen,

Thank you both for responding. I’ve been working this course and I really feel like the How you work is as important as the What you are doing. A bit about my background: My current role is working in quality assurance for a bank, working with home equity loans, lines of credit, and mortgages, Working with federal rules and regulations within the loan application process. I initially got into it after working as a customer service representative and branch lending officer. I was also in school getting my degree in Paralegal Studies so this role kinda but not really falls under the Legal umbrella. There are portions of my job that I enjoy but they don’t outweigh the rest. Its a lot of monotony, doing the same thing over and over and if we don’t maintain a certain daily productivity level, it reflects in our reviews and consequently in our raises, such as they are. WE do have opportunities to do different tasks but not enough to satisfy my need for variety in the work. Since the beginning, I’ve struggled with productivity and being timed as each loan has a time allotted to it and if we don’t complete the review within that time frame it will have negative consequences. I also just sit at a desk and for the past few years (or more) I’ve worked from home. I do value connection so I had been going to the office once or twice a week, but since the pandemic, I haven’t been allowed back. I miss my people. I do like the company I work for (I’ve worked here for 17 years) and I do believe in their mission. I’ve tried to look for other roles within the company with no luck so would always get frustrated and overwhelmed and just hoped that things would change. 17 years later I’m still here. I’ve tried looking at other companies but there are so many options its overwhelming. A Vicious cycle. I’m not sure why I’m rambling but I’m hoping to try looking again but this time based on my values, as you suggest in the course. Something has to change. Thanks for listening!

Kristen W

Based on some of the values you mentioned here, it’s no wonder you’re feeling frustrated at this job. You value variety, but you said your work is monotonous and you have do to the same thing day-in and day-out. You value connection, but you work alone at home (and it sounds like that’s not just because of the pandemic, although that’s definitely made it worse.) You value growth, and you’ve tried to grow within the company by applying for other roles, but it never works out. So it only makes sense that you’re feeling drained and frustrated!

It sounds to me like you’ve been trying to make this job fit HOW you need to work, but you keep hitting a ceiling. So it makes sense that you’re ready to look for other roles and even other companies to see if you can find better alignment with your values.

If you haven’t yet, I would suggest trying the “Job Searching According to your Values” exercise in the workbook. It will give you a good framework for how to approach job searching a bit differently, with more of that values-based focus.

That’s for sharing more about your career story and your experience so far in the course!

Shona K
    Participant

Hi, all! I’m Shona (short o as in doll). I currently live in Northern Indiana where I manage data and the online giving site for a local nonprofit. I’m actually really happy on the career side of things right now. I’m a Thriver, and this job aligns really well with that, especially after spending 15 years in a job that didn’t.

I actually signed up for the PPSC for a few reasons. I wanted to learn more about the other profiles and see what my secondary might be, and I hoped that it might enlighten me with the “pursue what I love on my own time” part of the profile. Plus, I get so much out of the podcast that I wanted to support Kristen and Rachel. πŸ˜‰

Rachel E
    Participant

Thanks for being here, Shona, and for the support! πŸ˜„ I love that you already have a job you’re happy with, and in true Thriver fashion you’re looking to amp up your life outside of work. Keep us posted with what you discover!

MPi
    Participant

Hello!

My name is Mary. I hemmed and hawed a bit before taking the step of buying the PPSC. I am impressed! You two are very welcoming to listen to. The content of the course was fleshed out and in a good order to help make sense of some things that seemed a little intimidating otherwise. I took the quiz and I am a Thriver! Currently a very pissed off and very out of place Thriver Machinist who had a whole small business dumped on her with all kinds of promises of help and collaboration and even a mentor ship dangling out there at one point!

Long story short, my mentor lied about his timeline, made no effort at all to teach me, usually just coming in calling me inefficient and suggesting all my questions were unimportant. Then, he retired to South Carolina. The people that bought the business from him have completely marooned me and are making very little effort for my well being or the business’s. I had to learn a very hard and difficult, not to mention actually dangerous, job alone, unsupported and with the added magic of having all the mind numbing minutia associated with a forward facing company with product I have to order for, make, create inventory for, sell then ship! I have nothing of a Firestarter in me if you can’t tell…

I am very proud of a lot of what I managed to do at this job but I have known for a while now that I have to get out for the sake of my sanity. I have had about 5 years of crappy, unfulfilling and overwhelming jobs at this point and felt very strongly that I needed a different approach to job searching in general. Machining was like a happy accident at one of my first temp jobs and I loved learning about it! I found friends in the trade and just kept myself involved more or less on the fringes. Sometimes working part time in the trade or literally just going to the shops to hang out and learn. Then, about 5 years ago I needed money and the jobs that paid the most were machining jobs….Things went down hill from there.

I am really not sure what I was looking at or for when I found Clarity on Fire! It almost scares me to think that just clicking away from whatever site I was on or deciding to stop and read right before I found this blog could have been all it took to never have gotten this insight.

I am grateful the both of you made the effort to put all this together and get it out there for us! I am right at the very end of the course now, just the last video to watch and then writing that letter to myself.

Thank you again and hope you have a nice day!

Mary

Rachel E
    Participant

Hi Mary,

What an awful situation to be put into! No Thriver should be asked to run someone else’s business, but being left alone and reprimanded for asking questions is so much worse. I’m glad you found your way here, and I hope that this is the first step in a new trajectory that gets you away from this job and into something that will make your Thriver self much happier!

Annabelle
    Participant

Hi I’m Annabelle! I’m from the UK but have been living in the US for 5 years now. I’ve gotten both tribe member recently and side hustler in the past (but resonate with parts of all the profiles!!).
    I’m great at ideas and thinking, but struggle to actualize them sometimes. Recently I’ve gotten clear on my current life goals and priorities, and among them was this idea of getting more intentional/structured support and accountability with my whole approach to passions/career/jobs, perhaps shaking it up since what I’ve been doing hasn’t quite been working for me. I know the general/abstract things I want to be doing with my life, but getting there and figuring out how job/income fits in with passion/meaning in a sustainable way is proving tricky.
    Listening to your podcast I had a few lightbulb moments, including that maybe I should treat my passions as creativity and not put pressure on them to pay my bills (though then I get stuck on how to pay the bills). You also reminded me that I can ‘write my way into the plot’ and sitting around won’t bring me clarity. If I could have aha moments from a few podcasts, I thought there might be something to this.
    So, this is my next step to writing my way into the plot, to get new insights and structure to move forward on things, and perhaps to figure out if 1:1 coaching is right for me.
    Thanks so much πŸ™‚

Rachel E
    Participant

Glad you’re here, Annabelle! I firmly believe that the Universe meets people halfway (or more than halfway!) when they decide to “write their way into the plot,” so I’m looking forward to hearing what happens now that you’ve made a big step! πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.