Share your experience

Sign In Forums Passion Profile Short Course Share your experience

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Karee V
    Participant

Thank you is not enough for opening my eyes to what a Thriver is. I now have a clearer picture of why I’ve been floating from job to job, never feeling it was the right fit, and never understanding why. It feels so good to know that nothing is wrong with me. For years, I’ve also struggled to find hobbies I thought I could be passionate about, and knowing that my desire to just enjoy life was ok and was like having a huge wright lifted off my shoulders! I have two teenagers and would love for them to understand their passion profile so the don’t have to struggle with these same things in their lives. This has been so valuable so far!

Kristen W

Thank YOU for sharing how much this course has helped you understand and accept yourself so you’re not fighting upstream anymore! Isn’t it such a relief to realize that there’s nothing wrong with you for not feeling SUPER passionate about your career, and also not wanting to turn your hobbies into a career either. You’re allowed to simply enjoy your life and value your family, friends, hobbies, and other pleasures just as much (and like more than) your job! That doesn’t mean you don’t want to enjoy your job and derive pleasure and meaning from it — everyone wants that to some extent! It just means you don’t have to put so much pressure on your job to be the thing you feel most passionate about in life.

Thanks for sharing your “ah-hah” moment with us! Your post made my whole day. 🙂

Jessica W
    Participant

Thank you so much for this experience! I initially signed up for this course months ago and life got in the way. Until I negotiated with my employer to take a 6 month paid sabbatical (YES!). And now I FINALLY had the time to focus on completing the course from start to finish, exercises and all! I have struggled for several years to articulate, much less understand the “how” I like to work and the values around it. I have read dozens of professional development books and twice as many articles on the subject of careers and “finding your passion”, etc. This was the first time I ever heard anyone say your passion is not a “what” and it struck a major chord to change my entire perspective on the matter.

I still don’t have all the answers (the journey continues!) but with the guidance and “straight-talk” you guys share throughout this course, I have much more confidence (and actual excitement!) about continuing forward.

Thanks!
    Jessica

Kristen W

Jessica — I’m so happy this course was so clarifying for you! I believe that things tend to show up at the perfect time, so even though you signed up for this course months ago, it sounds like the timing was finally right for you to really get the most out of it.

It’s really cool to hear that our take on “finding your passion” is so unique from anything you’ve read about it (and it sounds like you’ve read a lot!). Realizing that your passion isn’t a “what” is one of those things that feels so obvious once you hear it, but most of us have never thought that way before because it’s pretty counter-culture. I’m glad that majorly changed your perspective, and I hope it brought you some relief, too! Thanks for that feedback. 🙂

I hope you’ll come back and update us as your journey progresses! Enjoy every moment of your 6-month sabbatical (sounds amazing!!).

JenniferPritchard
    Participant

When I took the short course, I was absolutely sure that I needed to leave my current position. There were things that I liked about my job; mainly the autonomy it offered, and the great work life balance that is so difficult to find in my industry, but even so, I felt like I was in the wrong place. A few months prior to taking the course, I had approached my boss about the prospect of advancing to a management position. She listened to what I had to say, but ultimately felt like I wasn’t qualified for the position that would becoming available in the coming months. This left me feeling absolutely stifled. It was at that point that I felt the need to clarify my passions so that I could intelligently plan my next career move.

As I worked through the course, there were so many points that resonated with me. I took the quiz, and scored as a Thriver. At first I did not agree with this result. Based on the reading, I didn’t think this sounded like me at all. However, as I completed the exercises, I began to see how many aspects really did fit. My first Ah-ha moment came with the explanation that my passion doesn’t necessarily mean a job that I do. I’ve taken multiple career assessments before, and none of them gave me a definite direction to focus on. As you pointed out, they all say “do what you love,” “do what makes you happy.” This didn’t work for me because every time I reflected on what makes me truly happy, it always comes back to my children. Spending time with my children is what gets me out of bed in the morning and makes me smile. That is wonderful, but it does not come with a paycheck! That is where the exercises were so valuable for me. I realized that as a Thriver, I value work life balance. I need a job that lets me spend quality time with my children, but still supplies me with a steady paycheck. The second aspect that really got my attention, was the need for growth. “If you aren’t growing, you are dying.” “Yes!” I thought to myself, “that’s how I feel!” When you encouraged me to try to make improvements within my current company, I felt like I had already done this by asking my boss about a promotion. I was looking at other industries that would offer advancement, but I still did not want to give up the autonomy and balance that I had in my current job.

Then one day at work, the manager and I were having a conversation. He was talking about his desire to retire in a few years. Although this was the job that I had questioned my boss about earlier, I took the opportunity to voice my ambitions. Instead of asking for the management position, I told him that I was looking for ways to advance my own career, and would welcome the opportunity to work towards any aspects of his job that he would be willing to hand off. My manager was thrilled with the prospect of cutting down his work load, which would enable him to start working towards retirement. He spoke to my supervisor about the conversation, and now I am working towards a brand new position in Human Resources with the same company! I am able to keep the autonomy and balance that I love, while growing towards new challenges! You see, my supervisor did not think I was qualified to manage the facility, but she was very opened to the idea of breaking the position into multiple departments. I get to create a brand new HR department. Had I not worked through the passion profile course, I would not have understood what a great opportunity this was.

Thank you, Clarity on fire! I am thrilled!

Rachel E
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

This is such a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

You really illustrate how powerful the sheer act of changing your perceptions and understanding your values can be–you didn’t even need to leave your current job to find the kind of opportunities and balance that you were looking for! That’s so amazing. And it’s so great that you were able to create a win-win between you and your boss; you get more experience and growth opportunities, and he gets to wind down toward retirement. That’s a really nice balance you’ve struck there! I hope you’ll keep us posted. This is such a great story! 🙂

AngelaJensen
    Participant

This experience has already helped me understand myself and my current situation better. Listening to the Thriver profile really opened my eyes to a few things.

I’ve been working in the outdoor industry for the last few years (think surf, snow, bike) and while everyone tells me “that’s the dream” because I’m really passionate about those activities and it has a cool factor (and pro deals lol) it’s actually been hurting my passions. I currently work for a bike company and while they advocate lunch rides and the “work hard, play hard” mentality I’ve been riding less since I started there than before I took the job. I think I feel like there’s a pressure to perform and excel at my passion now that it’s linked to my job and the pressure makes it less fun. While I’m not in charge of anything and this job has stability, I also feel like a bit of a poseur because riding bikes is just something I do for fun not my capital-P “passion” like it is for a lot of other people there. The culture is totally Tribe Member-centric and I feel burntout trying to constantly fit in.

A second interesting thing that came up was the Thriver who wanted to teach (some) yoga. I am a petsitter on the side but don’t want to start my own business around it like a Firestarter or Side Hustler. I do it because petsitting is fun for me and the extra money is nice too. But if it were my whole career I would be so stressed about doing it. I like knowing that as a Thriver I can still do other “work” whether volunteering or side gigs as long as they appeal to the always having fun side of me.

I am really looking forward to exploring secondary profiles next as I feel like there might be a dash of Firestarter rebelliousness in me as well haha 🙂

Rachel E
    Participant

Hey Angela!

I’m so happy to hear that you’re learning to embrace your Thriver essence! The burnout you describe in being surrounded by Tribe Members is a very common thing we hear from a lot of Thrivers. And hopefully now that you know you don’t have to keep trying to look like a Tribe Member, perhaps that permission will allow you to relax and not put all the pressure and expectation on yourself. And yes! Thrivers can totally have side hustles and other projects outside of work, so long as they’re fun and low-pressure. 🙂

Vick
    Participant

Hello,

I liked the course and aligned to side hustler- personality matches with strong in ideation and connectedness. I work from home and travel for my job but lately, I was feeling isolated and as if I am not learning much in my job and looking for a change but course clarified me that my current job lacks stimulus and probably I should involve in multiple different projects. I am introvert and poor in execution so would like to team up with some one. Should I do MBA? Idea without execution is of no use!!! I want to implement my ideas.

Kristen W

Hi Vick — I’m glad this course clarified what’s been missing in your current work-from-home job! It sounds like, as a Side Hustler, you need the ability to be creative, have lots of ideas, brainstorm with others, and be constantly learning. Since you feel like you’re not learning much in your job right now, it’s no wonder you’re feeling restless and ready for a change.

You asked if getting an MBA is a good idea, and I think it could certainly help you scratch your itch for growth and learning, and it may also teach you how to implement your ideas. Without doing some 1-on-1 coaching with you and learning more about your situation, it’s hard for me to determine if that’s the right next step for you or not, but from what you described it sounds like it could be a good option. It’s certainly not the only way for you to get those needs/values met, but it’s one good potential avenue.

Vick
    Participant

Hi Kristen,

I am interested in coaching and heard about 1 hr call. I messaged you, so how can we move forward with coaching.

Kristen W

Hi Vick — I sent you an email this morning to set up a call about coaching. Looking forward to chatting with you soon!

AngelaJensen
    Participant

Haha I just read the “Breaking your leg in the shower” blog post you referenced in the video and it’s so true to my life right now. I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago. Before that it had gotten pretty unbearable at work and the things I asked for (like backfill so I wasn’t working 2 positions, more time to spend on the project I’m assigned to, some flexibility to work from home etc.) were mostly being ignored by managers and HR. Everyone around me was dragging their heels to make anything happen. After I broke my ankle (I didn’t go on short-term disability and chose to keep working) many of the things I hoped and asked for before the accident were fast-tracked and today I’m quite a bit happier.

Sometimes it does take breaking your leg for the situation to change 😛

(And as a Thriver this is why having a job that provides stability in the form of good health insurance and a steady paycheck in times of sickness is an absolute top value for me!)

Rachel E
    Participant

Hey Angela,

Wow! Well, I’m sorry you broke your ankle, but it sounds like the Universe was looking out for you! This is such a good example of how things will work out, even when they look disastrous at first. And yeah, what a good reminder about why stability and good insurance is a top value for you!

BrittanyWalker
    Participant

Hello!

I received your first “check in” email after purchasing PPSC to jump over to the forum, and I’m taking advantage to do just that!

I don’t quite remember the exact details on how I stumbled across the Clarity on Fire, Passion Quiz, but I know my life has not been the same since reading my results of being a Fire Starter. It took almost a year and half before I worked up enough courage to purchase PPSC ( after countless, personality quizzes, self help books, etc)..and I can’t even begin to describe the emotions I’ve experienced as I progress with the course. All my life, I’ve felt disappointed, discouraged, resentful, and honestly, such a hot mess jumping from office job to office job. Exact words in my journal describe me feeling, “like I’m in a prison cell”..and when I finished your Fire Starter Presentation video, everything just, clicked. This is me. A Fire starter. This is why I’ve been so miserable in countless cubical jobs. This is why, every single job posting I come across, feels exactly the same, miserable and defeating.

I’ve completed the beliefs and values section of the workbook so far, and I realize my beliefs have been severely limiting my ability to live a fulfilling life. ” Maybe I’m just an average person, and the world needs average people with no real dreams…chasing a dream would just be a waste of time and money, and likely just leave me broke and helpless.. Having my own business would be exhausting and I could never pull it off. I don’t have what it takes to own a business.” Admitting all of that is difficult, extremely difficult..but I’m so thankful to have finally have some answers.

I look forward to continuing the course to learn more about the different profiles, and continue on this wild journey. Will post again, I’m sure 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.