Ask the experts

Sign In Forums Passion Profile Short Course Ask the experts

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    Rachel E
    Participant

Hey Annabelle,

Love that fire analogy (you know we love a good analogy, anytime anywhere lol), and it’s so accurate! I’m smiling at you learning to give yourself, and all the seemingly disparate pieces of you, permission to just … be. It’s amazing how much life changes when you stop trying to uphold whatever/whoever you think you “should” be!🤩

Rachel E
    Participant

Hi Tamara,

First of all, kudos for running your own business for 15 years! That’s a HUGE achievement, especially when you’ve been shouldering the weight of not feeling lit up for a while. It’s totally natural that you’d be craving a change!

It sounds like, now that you’re very clear on how you want to work, you’re ready to more specifically drill down on what you want to be doing.

The best step you can take on that front is to start following your curiosity. A lot of us think that we need to think it all out ahead of time; have a clear idea of what we should do before we do it. But most clarity comes from exploring and experimenting and taking action, not thinking. I bet there’s something, if not more than one thing, that you’re curious about right now. Even just mildly curious about! When you give yourself permission to explore that, you’ll be surprised where you might end up; how looking into one thing turns you in the direction of something totally unexpected.

We’ve got some content that would help you with that! The first is about exactly what you’ve asked about! And the others are more about mindset and opening up your intuition to receive nudges/guidance about your next steps. 🙂

Side Chat: How to figure out what to do with your life (June 2018)
    Treating life like a magical scavenger hunt with Francisca Hernandez (November 2018)
    Expecting the perfect job to be your savior with Sarah Knight (October 2019)
    Bonus Episode! How to find your passion in 2019 live workshop

NikkiBaccaro
    Participant

Hi! My name is Nikki and I am doing the short course 🙂 I am a thriver (with a bit of Tribe Member, I think lol) and I was curious if you could elaborate on what “competence” means under Thriver values? Do you mean that a Thriver needs to understand fully what they are doing day to day and confusion leads to disengagement? I was reflecting on my career thus far and which values hit, and which didn’t in my past roles. Thanks so much! This course is awesome.

Rachel E
    Participant

Hey Nikki!

Really great question. I would definitely agree that one facet of competence is fully understanding the role and responsibilities, to eliminate as much pressure and confusion as possible! Beyond that, I think competence also means that Thrivers, in particular, can have a lower bar (in the best way) for how good they need to feel at their job. If they feel decently good at it (competent, in other words), they’re usually fine! Whereas a Firestarter, for example, usually wants to feel like THE BEST at what they do–a true thought leader or expert, perhaps. Because work isn’t usually where Thrivers experience true passion, it makes sense that their bar is lower. They may, however, have that same desire for excellence and mastery in something they’re passionate about! As long as mastering that thing is fun and low pressure, and not tied to how they provide for themselves. Does that help? 🙂

NikkiBaccaro
    Participant

Yes, definitely! Thank you. It’s weird because I am in an ideal “Thriver” company/job right now – work life balance, good pay, good benefits, I have little stress but something is missing and it’s hard to put my finger on it. I can’t tell if it’s I don’t care at all about the product (why I mentioned Tribe Member, wanting those same benefits ^ but something I believe in more, or feel more connected to). But now I am realizing I may have a bit of Firestarter in me, and I miss feeling like an expert in my old job. In my mind, being in the know, or having understanding, means less confusion and stress. I have definitely found clarity in this course, and I’m not even finished yet! As you can tell, I am a bit all over the place in terms of self-discovery. Thanks for your help!

Rachel E
    Participant

You’re welcome, Nikki! That “all over the place” feeling is totally normally. You’re learning and re-calibrating, and eventually things will solidify more and more. For now, keep staying open to these realizations you’re having, and let’s see where they take you! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.