Reply To: Introduce yourself

Create New Account Forums Passion Profile Short Course Introduce yourself Reply To: Introduce yourself

Rachel E
Participant

Hey Karisa!

Thank you for joining us, I’m so glad you’re here! 🙂

Man, I really get fired up when I hear Thrivers talking about how they’re expected to behave like Tribe Members at work. And more than that, they’re expected to want to stay late and work a ton for a boss who’s not giving them the respect and trust that they deserve! Like, who said that you should just be blindly loyal to anyone or anything, and grin and bear it no matter what??

It’s natural to be afraid of transitioning to a new job, only to find yourself in the same circumstances as before. Toward the end of the PPSC we talk a little bit about this, and how to avoid that trap. Just know that it IS possible to discern the quality of an environment before you ever take a job. A lot of it has to do with getting comfortable asking questions in an interview setting. Kristen wrote an article once about that you may want to save and refer to later: https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-one-interview-question-you-need-to-ask-if-you-want-to-land-the-perfect-job

And your intuition is right — The way to get comfortable with being a Thriver at work is definitely about giving yourself permission to be different from those around you, and also become confident and secure enough in yourself that if people judge you or misunderstand you, it’s not the end of the world. Learning how to say a graceful “no” is SO critical to your happiness! We can’t possibly make everyone AND ourselves happy at the same time. This reminds me of a couple of Side Chats we recorded a while back:

How to not care what people think

How to live more and work less

I’ll be curious to hear what you think of all of the above, particularly after you’ve finished the PPSC!