Reply To: Ask the experts

Create New Account Forums Passion Profile Short Course Ask the experts Reply To: Ask the experts

Kristen W

Hi Kalei! So happy to hear you’re feeling a lot more clear about what you want/don’t want in a career after going through this course. (Specific job titles are WAY less important than figuring out those deeper desires.)

First of all, I love how committed you are right now to making whatever strides you can toward preparing for your career transition once you go back home. You’ve got a great mindset right now about how you want to use this time productively while your husband is stationed in another country. That said, I absolutely understand your frustration about being in a country where you don’t speak the language, don’t have a core group of friends/family, and have a limited ability to network. I imagine it must feel pretty lonely sometimes! Especially for someone who’s primarily a Tribe Member. It’s no wonder you’re craving more engagement and community!

It might be just plain true that there aren’t many other expats around who can be helpful in your career exploration/preparation, but that doesn’t have to stop you from connecting with people in other parts of the world. I think it could be a great idea for you to find some people you’d like to ask for an informational interview (friends of friends, people you admire online, people you find when searching through LinkedIn, etc.), and then set up a phone or video call. It still amazes me that we live in a time when you can connect with people almost anywhere in the world (Rachel and I have coached people on every continent except Antarctica!), so there’s still a lot of connecting you can do virtually. And when you need some in-person community (because, of course, not everything can be virtual), you can go on cultural excursions with the other expats purely for the social connection without the pressure of making it relevant to your career, because you have other virtual contacts for that.

Just my two cents! Let me know what you think. 🙂