Reply To: Ask the experts

Create New Account Forums Passion Profile Short Course Ask the experts Reply To: Ask the experts

SamanthaLenkic
Participant

Hi Kristen and Rachel,

Firstly I’d like to thank you both for the impact the passion profiles has had on my life so far. I’ve almost finished the short course and I feel so clear on what I want for my next role.

I’m a classic ‘Thriver,’ I highly value balance and am not getting that from my current company. In past jobs where I’ve been happy, I’ve been able to work 9-5pm 90-95% of the time – with a decent lunch break every day.

I’m currently looking for work and have a few interview opportunities lined up, I want to know how I ask about my dealbreaker without sounding like I’m not willing to put in a few extra hours when is absolutely needed. The truth is, I don’t mind the occasional overtime – if I’m working on an event (I work in PR) and we’re getting everything ready the night before that is absolutely fine. Or if I get an urgent request from a producer at a radio station for my client to appear that night on their radio show at 5pm, again I’m completely ok with that – but when my company assigns me 20+ hours of work in a month in excess of my full time hours, I absolutely hate it and my health becomes really affected – anxiety, depression, panic attacks etc. This is what my current company is doing which is why I’m leaving!

So, how can I make sure in interviews this very important dealbreaker is asked without sounding like I’m not occasionally willing to go beyond what the office hours are?