Reply To: Ask the experts

Create New Account Forums Passion Profile Short Course Ask the experts Reply To: Ask the experts

Jasmine W
Participant

Hi Kristen,
I am 17 years old and in my senior year of high school. I took the quiz and I got side hustler and thriver. I have a lot of different passions, from music to design to programming to business, etc. I keep on changing my mind on what major I should pick, what school is best for my career path, and the more I research about a certain career, the more confused I get from all the choices! There’s just so much to consider like the salary, the hours, the working environment, type of work, etc. I really value fun and flexibility, but I also like the idea of having a paycheck so I don’t have to worry about financial stuff anymore and I can just get to enjoy my hobbies and interests and go on vacations with friends without thinking that I can’t afford it.

People I know, like my parents, say that since I am not 100% sure what exactly I want to do, I should pick something that pays a lot and has stability (like what most old-fashioned parents say! lol). I’ve thought about banking and finance, but from what I know, it doesn’t seem like a very fun job as it isn’t flexible and has very long hours.

One solution I can think of is to be a software engineer because I enjoy coding and the jobs in tech usually involve some creativity and are flexible and fun. Then, I could have some other things I do on the side like being a piano teacher or make crafts, etc. There’s also some concerns though: one is that having a day job won’t leave me enough time and energy for my other passions, another is the fear that I won’t be really good at any of the things I like and that I will be wasting my degree/education.

Thanks so much for answering these questions, you guys are super helpful and inspiring!